DRESSES

Friday, May 18, 2012

What has gone wrong?

My friends and I spent some time at A&W for ice-cream after visiting our alma mater , the activity we used to do during our weekend outings back then.

We talked on a lot of things and of course, matters on our children are priorities.
A friend brought up a subject which I agreed with her and so keen to improve on my parenting skill.

She told me making reference to her very own off-springs : “Mario, I find that they are very smart with their words. They perform well in school, their vocabulary and their knowledge are way advanced than what I myself had when I was their age… but I find that they are actually “empty”. Example, I asked them to wash their own school shoes, given the brush, soap and they just had to ask me : How to wash ? 

“How can they not able to figure themselves of a simple task in washing a pair of shoes ?….”

For a mother to confess such situation, I totally appreciate it. I know her kids, getting on stage for educational awards is like ‘kacang putih’ for them.

As we always want to see our children as ‘smart’, statements like this would make us grounded and realized : Yup, it could be true…….. and what should we do?

“Which part of our parenting skill has gone wrong?...”
“Haven’t we given them enough exposure to be a self-starter?..”
“Haven’t we created enough critical thinking, problem solving situation to our kids..?”
"Haven't we venture enough to instill the importance of creativity in our kids..?" 

It is indeed challenging, more over with our education system of seeing nos of A’s is so much important than nurturing diversity and EQ, I am so afraid I would be trapped in the same scenario.

In bringing up Nada, it is actually one of the things that I am afraid most…
That she grew up being an individual that is lack of common sense.. lack of EQ. For some reason, these two can’t be found in a typical school classrooms.

I am still lost in search of ways to overcome this lingering questions which has already nested in me for sometime.  
... at Taman Tasik Seremban.
Isn't that Mommy made apple box-pleat skirt yummy? One for sure, I know my example to her in handmades making has got into her habit in one way or another. She's now so keen with my sewing machine.

No comments: